Friday, June 29, 2012

Super Moms & Supportive Dads

I'm a Super Mom. Driven by success. Motivated. Ambitious. All of the qualities I saw in my mother growing up as a child. I believe the women in my family have always prided themselves on being able to "do it all". Now that I am a mother and a wife, I too have quite naturally managed to balance a full-time career and raise a family while also finding the time to get my degree, start my own freelancing business, volunteer, join a book club and a moms group all at the same time (whew).

Despite my overactive need to always be accomplishing something, I also understand the importance of depending on a supportive spouse to help pick up the pieces when feeling overwhelmed. I don't give in to the cliche that "men are intimidated by successful women". However, I do believe that men are motivated and empowered when they feel needed, whereas women are motivated when they feel cherished.

My husband is supportive of me in both my personal and professional endeavors. He never doubts me and is always encouraging me to reach my goals. Through his actions, my husband has challenged me to be more understanding and supportive of him. I know that he is a man of God because he lives His word (Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her").

When I recently made the decision to cut back on my hours and work part-time so that I am able to graduate, my husband was positive and encouraging. I knew that I did not want to stay at home full-time, but if I wanted to finish school, I would need to make some sacrifices (*note to critics of working moms: it goes without saying that my daughter is my world -- however, for ME, finding meaning outside of my child makes my role as a parent more satisfying).

I have accepted that I can't do it all, and I am embracing the fact that we'll have to make some compromises. However, I have the support of my loving husband, the motivation of my beautiful baby girl and the grace of God to finish school and be a first generation college graduate.

Now that's what I call a Super Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment